Skip to content
Recipes - Cooking
Tempura Seafood - Orgran
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- 8 large raw prawns, heads and shells removed, tails intact
- squid body, cleaned and skinned
- whiting fillets
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stalks removed
Tempura Batter Ingredients:
- 400 millilitres ice-cold water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ORGRAN All Purpose Plain Flour, sifted
- ORGRAN All Purpose Plain Flour for dusting
- vegetable oil for frying
- sesame oil for frying
- Remove the veins from the prawns and then make 4x3mm or 1/8 inch deep cuts across the belly to stop the prawns curling up. Snip the tips of the tails and gently squeeze out any liquid. Pat dry.
- Cut open the squid body. Lay flat, inside down, on a chopping board, and make shallow criss-cross slits on one side. Cut into 2.5 x 6cm (1" x 2½") rectangular strips. Cut the whiting fillets into similar size strips.
- Half fill a pan or wok with 3 parts vegetable oil (other type of oil can also be used) to 1 part of sesame oil. Bring to approximately 175°C or 350°F over a medium heat.
- Meanwhile, make the tempura batter. Break egg into measuring cup beat slightly then add ice-cold water on top and combine. Pour into a large bowl.
- Add the flour and mix roughly with chopsticks or fork. Do not beat; leave the batter lumpy. Refrigerate batter until needed.
- Hold the tail of a prawn, dusted with flour, then dip into the batter. Do not put batter on the tail. Slide the prawn into the hot oil very slowly. Deep fry one to two prawns at a time until crisp.
- Dust the whiting strips and then dip into the batter. Deep fry until the batter is crisp.
- Drain excess oil from the tempura on a wire rack for a few minutes and then arrange them on plates.
Dipping Sauce (Optional):
- Japanese all purpose (light) soy sauce
- Coating Variation:
- ORGRAN Rice Crispi™ Breadcrumbs for coating
- Crumb coating can be applied to meats, vegetables and mushrooms. This can easily be done by dusting meat or vegetables with breadcrumbs after dipping into batter and prior to deep fry them.