Skip to content
Spinach & Rice Bake
Recipes - Cooking
Spinach & Rice Bake - Orgran
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- 1 cup diced sweet potato
- 1 cup diced pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- cracked black pepper, as desired
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- frozen spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter or salt reduced monounsaturated margarine
- 2 tablespoons ORGRAN All Purpose Plain Flour
- 2 cups milk (or non-dairy milk)
- smooth ricotta
- 2 eggs, well beaten (or ORGRAN No Egg™ Egg Replacer)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preparation time 30 minutes (allow for time to cook rice and to bake vegetables)
- Cooking time 20 minutes (Microwave 8 minutes)
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Prepare a 20cm (8”) round deep casserole dish by spraying with cooking spray.
- Place sweet potato and pumpkin onto a flat baking dish. Spray well with cooking spray.
- Pour oil over vegetables.
- Sprinkle with crushed garlic and cracked pepper.
- Place into a moderately hot oven and bake until golden brown and vegetables are cooked.
- Place into prepared casserole dish.
- Top with rice and spinach.
- Prepare a sauce by placing butter into a small saucepan and melting over a gentle heat.
- Remove from heat. Stir in flour.
- Return to heat and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Gradually stir in milk.
- Return to heat and cook stirring continuously until sauce boils and thickens.
- Prepare a sauce by placing butter into a small microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 20 seconds.
- Stir in gluten free flour.
- Microwave on medium high for 30 seconds.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Microwave on medium high for 1 minute and stir.
- Continue to microwave on medium high, stirring at 1-minute intervals until sauce boils and thickens.
- Stir in ricotta, egg (alternatively, use No Egg™ as per packet instructions) and ground pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce over vegetables.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Place into a moderately hot oven and bake for approx. 20 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
- Microwave for approx. 8 minutes until heated through.
- Serve hot or cold as desired.