Skip to content
Recipes - Cooking
Gnocchi - Orgran
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- 4 large potatoes
- salt & freshly ground pepper, as desired
- 1 egg
- 2 cups ORGRAN All Purpose Plain Flour
- additional ORGRAN All Purpose Plain Flour, for rolling gnocchi
- 1. Peel and dice potatoes. Place into the top of an electric steamer. Cook until potato is soft.
- 2. Place cooked potato into a large bowl. Mash, using a potato ricer or Mouli. Do not be tempted to mash potatoes in a food processor. They will be too sticky. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- 3. Break egg into a small mixing bowl. Whisk well. Pour into mashed potato and mix well.
- 4. Place potato mixture into the large bowl of an electric food mixer (not a food processor; potato will be too starchy). Add 1/2 cup flour and beat well. Add another ½ cup flour and beat well. Add another ½ cup flour and beat well. Add remainder of flour and beat well. The flour can be beaten into the potato using a wooden spoon, however as this is difficult I prefer to mix the ingredients on the electric mixer with a heavy-duty beater.
- 5. Prepare a flat oven tray by lining with baking paper.
- 6. Lightly flour hands with gluten free flour and roll a small portion of dough approx. the size of an almond. I wear disposable gloves, as this allows the dough to be highly polished during rolling. Place the small ball of dough over the pointer finger. Using the back of a fork dipped in plain flour, gently press flat. Turn the edges in under the ball to resemble a small date in shape. Place onto prepared tray. Repeat with remaining potato.
- 7. Pour hot water into a saucepan to approx. ⅔ full. Bring water to a rolling boil. Water must be boiling well.
- 8. Place approx. 12 gnocchi into water at a time. Boil for approx. 3 minutes or until gnocchi float in water. Do not put too many in the saucepan at once, as the gnocchi need to be able to move in the boiling water during cooking. Gnocchi will swell during cooking. Do not overcook as gnocchi can become tough in texture.
- 9. Drain with a slotted spoon.
- Serve topped with your favourite Italian sauce and a little parmesan cheese.