Skip to content
Gemista (Rice Stuffed Tomatoes)
Recipes - Cooking
Gemista (Rice Stuffed Tomatoes) - Orgran
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- 8 large tomatoes
- 3/4 cup long grain or basmati rice
- 4 teaspoons + 2 tbs ORGRAN Corn Crispi™ Breadcrumbs
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 stalks spring / green onions, chopped finely
- 4 garlic gloves, crushed
- 1 small zucchini, finely diced
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dill, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano + extra for potatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 large potatoes diced 3cm cubes
- sea salt / pepper to taste
- 2 cups boiling water
- Peel and dice potatoes. Season with sea salt, pepper, oregano and olive oil.
- Slice off the tops of the tomatoes and scoop out the pulp with a spoon. Discard the liquid and seeds and only keep the firm pulp which you need to dice up into small pieces. Place tomatoes in a baking dish big enough to fit tomatoes and spread the potatoes amongst them.
- In a frying pan add 2 tbs olive oil, onions, garlic and zucchini and sauté on medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and sauté for a further minute then add spring onions, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, seasoning, herbs and boiling water. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed but not to the point where it has all absorbed. Take off heat. Add 2 tbs of breadcrumbs into mixture and combine well.
- Before spooning rice mixture into tomatoes, add into each tomato 1/2 teaspoon of the breadcrumbs. This adds flavour, texture and absorbs any excess liquid the tomatoes may release whilst cooking.
- Spoon and fill the tomatoes with the rice mixture and replace the tops.
- Spread the potatoes around the backing dish and add in between any leftover rice mixture (the leftover rice cooks amongst the potatoes and is eaten straight from the dish like you would a paella). Drizzle tomatoes and potatoes with olive oil and add 1/4 cup of water to the dish.
- Cover dish with baking paper cut to fit inside the dish allowing steam to escape whilst cooking. Bake for 40 minutes then take off baking paper, reduce heat to 160C and further bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Recipe by @feelgoodfoodie.au