Skip to content
Recipes - Cooking
Beetroot Relish - Orgran
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Beetroot Relish Ingredients:
- beetroot (approx. 3 fresh beetroot)
- red onion (approx. 1 large onion)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled & crushed
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ORGRAN All Purpose Plain Flour
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 strip lemon peel
- 10 small fresh beetroot (canned whole baby beetroot can be used in place of fresh beetroot)
Beetroot Relish Method:
- 1. Peel and finely dice beetroot.
- 2. Peel and finely dice onion.
- 3. Put beetroot, onion, garlic, basil leaves, ground cloves, vinegar, water, mustard seeds, flour, currants and lemon juice into an electric food blender. Blend until smooth.
- 4. Pour liquid into a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and cook over a gentle heat until vegetables are soft.
- 5. Allow to cool. Return beetroot to blender and blend again to make sure you have a smooth liquid.
- 6. Return beetroot mixture to saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat. Add sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add strip of lemon peel.
- 7. Boil gently until liquid has reduced and thickened slightly.
- 8. Remove strip of lemon peel.
- 9. While still, pour into warm, sterilized jars and seal until required.
- Preparation time 20 minutes
- Cooking time 25 minutes
- 1. Remove long parts of tops from beetroot and wash.
- 2. Place beetroot into cold water. Bring water slowly to the boil. Boil gently until beetroot are soft.
- 3. Remove beetroot from boiling water. Plunge into cold water.
- 4. Remove short part of tops and skins.
- 5. Arrange on a serving dish and glaze with Beetroot Relish.