Skip to content
Beef Schnitzel w/Eggplant
Recipes - Cooking
Beef Schnitzel w/Eggplant - Orgran
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- 1 large eggplant
- olive oil, approx. 3 Tbsp
- ground salt and freshly ground black pepper, as desired
Beef Schnitzel Ingredients:
- 2 eggs or ORGRAN No Egg™ Egg Replacer (as per packet instructions)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup ORGRAN All Purpose Plain Flour
- ground sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 thin beef schnitzels (approx. 100g)
- 1/2 cup ORGRAN Corn or Rice Crispi™ Breadcrumbs
- olive oil for frying
Crumbed Avocado Ingredients:
- 2 avocados
- left over crumbs, egg/ORGRAN No Egg™ Egg Replacer mix & flour from schnitzel preparation.
Tomato & Onion Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 punnets small cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped chilli
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- crumbed beef schnitzels
- cooked eggplant slices
- tomato and onion sauce
- fetta, cut into very small cubes
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preparation time 40 minutes
- Cooking time 35 minutes
- 1. Preheat oven to 170°C (350°F).
- 2. Prepare a large flat baking tray by spraying with cooking spray. Line tray with baking paper.
- 3. Cut eggplant into 6 slices (approx. 2.5cm (1"). Place onto prepared tray. Pour olive oil over slices. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4. Place into a moderately-hot oven and bake for approx. 30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked. It may be necessary to pour a little more oil over slices during cooking.
Beef Schnitzels Method:
- It is important not to overcook beef schnitzels, as they may become tough.
- Preparation time 15 minutes
- Cooking time 2 minutes either side (cook schnitzels just before eggplant has finished cooking).
- 1. Break eggs into a small bowl. Add water and lightly whisk, or use ORGRAN No Egg™ Egg Replacer a per packet instructions.
- 2. Put flour into a small flat bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3. Put breadcrumbs into another small flat bowl.
- 4. Dip each beef fillet into flour, egg and breadcrumbs.
- 5. Pour oil into a large frying pan. Heat over a medium heat.
- 6. Add fillets to pan. Fry until beef is cooked and golden brown. Fry for approx. 2 minutes on each side. Do not over cook.
- 7. When cooked, remove from pan and drain on absorbent paper.
Crumbed Avocado Method:
- 1. Peel and cut avocado into thin slices, approx. 1cm thickness.
- 2. Use remaining flour, egg/No Egg™ mixture and breadcrumbs after coating schnitzels and coat avocado slices.
- 3. Reheat frying pan after removing cooked schnitzels.
- 4. Fry avocado slices for 1 minute and turn. Fry for 1 minute. Drain on absorbent paper.
Tomato & Onion Sauce Method:
- 1. Peel onion and cut into small dice.
- 2. Peel and crush garlic.
- 3. Pour oil into a medium-sized frying pan. Heat over a gentle heat.
- 4. Add onion and garlic to pan and sauté (lightly fry).
- 5. Add tomatoes, paprika and chilli to pan. Cook until well combined and slightly thickened. Stir in chopped basil.
- 1. For each serve, place a crumbed schnitzel into a flat serving plate.
- 2. Top beef with a slice of eggplant, crumbed avocado, some tomato & onion sauce and some fetta.
- 3. Place spinach leaves into a medium-sized bowl. Pour in olive oil and toss lightly to allow oil to coat spinach leaves. Serve with crumbed beef.