Gluten free pasta is not too different from cooking wheat pasta. It is important to follow the instructions on the pack and use the recommended cooking time.
Orgran Bread Mix
Orgran Easy Bake Bread Mix can be easy to bake and provide great results baked in a conventional oven.
Hints & Tips
- · Bread can be micro waved to freshen after storage
- · Baked loaf is best used within two days
- · Baked bread can be frozen in an airtight freezer bag
Choc Crackles made with Orgran Itsy Bitsy Cocoa O’s
Try this for your next kids party.
Orgran Italian Style Spaghetti
Orgran All Purpose Pastry Mix
Puff Pastry Hints & Tips
- Make sure you follow the directions on the packet. Don’t try to take short cuts when making this pastry. You must follow the instructions carefully
- Do not use margarine. To achieve the flaky layers associated with puff pastry you will need to use a hard fat such as butter (diet permitting) or vegetable shortening
- When using butter make sure you have had it out the fridge for about 30 minutes so that it is not too hard when rolling it into the dough. However, it must still be firm and slightly cold – but not hard
- Make sure your utensils and equipment are cold.
- Make sure you leave the pastry in the freezer for the prescribed time between each rolling
- If the edges of the pastry become too hard after being in the freezer, using your rolling pin gently ‘work’ the pastry until it softens
- While working the pastry the butter may become ‘sloppy’ and the pastry will be difficult to work with. If this happens, put the pastry back in the freezer for 5-10 minutes so the butter can firm up slightly
- While rolling the pastry avoid dusting the working surface with flour, as this may not give the best results. When rolling out the pastry you can use flour to remove the stickiness BUT you must ensure that you remove all traces before continuing as the pastry will absorb the flour and may make it tough
- When working the pastry, be gentle – do not over work
- If the dough becomes sticky chill in the fridge to let it harden again
- Do not roll the pastry out too thinly when folding as the dough may be over extended
- Manual pasta machines with rollers can be used to roll out pastry sheets to the desired thickness
Short Crust Pastry Hints & Tips
- Ensure butter (diet permitting) is not too firm – you want to be able to squeeze it with your fingers. However, you don’t want it too soft – it should not turn into ‘mush’.
- Additional water may need to be added to achieve the desired consistency
- The rolled pastry sheets will be quite delicate, and will need to be handled carefully when placing into a pie dish. Alternatively, the pastry dough can be pressed into the pie or baking dish or you can follow the below recipe which includes egg (diet permitting)
- It is usually best to ‘blind bake’ pastry shells prior to adding filling, to help stop the pastry absorbing too much moisture and going soggy. Place into a pre-heated oven at 210°C for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown
Pastry Mix FAQ
Can I make a Vegan version?
For puff pastry in particular, hard solid fats such as vegetable shortening are required to achieve the ‘flaky’ texture of puff pastry and can be used in place of butter. Soft margarine type products will not work.
Can I use margarine to make puff pastry?
No. Using margarine will not result in the traditional flaky layers associated with puff pastry. You need to ensure a hard fat such as butter or Vegetable Shortening is used as directed.
Can I store the prepared pastry sheets in the freezer?
Sheets of pastry can be prepared and stored in the freezer. If you are storing sheets in the freezer, they must be thoroughly wrapped to prevent them drying out. When the sheets are required for baking they can be removed from the freezer and made up as required.