Skip to content
Recipes - Cooking
Tomato Borscht - Orgran
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- 3 medium sized beetroot
- 3 rashers bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 sticks celery
- 1 cup diced pumpkin
- 1 x 800g can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped semi-dried tomatoes
- 8 cups fresh beef stock
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 cup finely shredded cabbage
- salt and freshly ground pepper, as desired
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- ORGRAN Crispibread of choice
- Place beetroot into a large saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently until beetroot is tender. Remove from saucepan.
- Remove rind and fat from bacon. Cut into pieces. Place into a large saucepan. Cook over a gently heat, stirring so that bacon does not burn. Remove bacon from saucepan.
- Pour oil into saucepan. Heat over a gentle heat.
- Peel and crush garlic. Add to saucepan.
- Peel carrots and potatoes and cut into small dice. Add to saucepan.
- Chop celery into small pieces. Add to saucepan.
- Add diced pumpkin to saucepan.
- Peel and dice one beetroot.
- Put diced tomatoes, semi-dried tomatoes and one diced beetroot into the bowl of an electric blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour beef stock into a large bowl. Add beetroot and tomato puree and tomato paste. Stir well to combine. Pour into saucepan with vegetables.
- Cut remaining 2 beetroot into small dice. Add to saucepan.
- Simmer over a gentle heat until vegetables are soft.
- Add shredded cabbage and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add cooked bacon.
- Season with salt and pepper, as desired
- Serve with freshly chopped parsley and ORGRAN Crispibread of choice