Skip to content
Recipes - Baking, Snacks
Potato Doughnuts - Orgran
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- butter or milk-free margarine
- 125 millilitres lite coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- coconut flour
- ORGRAN All Purpose Plain Flour
- caster sugar
- dried yeast (1 sachet)
- coconut oil for frying
- caster sugar, extra
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1. Peel and cut potatoes into cubes. Place into a small quantity of boiling water. Cook until potato is soft. Potatoes can be steamed if desired, however they will have firmer texture and won’t go through the potato ricer as easily.
- 2. When potato is cooked, press through potato ricer.
- 3. Place butter into a small saucepan. Heat over a gentle heat until butter is melted. Pour in coconut milk and heat until just warm.
- Place butter into a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds or until butter is melted. Pour in coconut milk and microwave on high for a further 30 seconds or until just warm.
- 4. Pour melted butter, coconut milk and water into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- 5. Pour in egg. Stir into the melted butter and milk.
- 6. Place mashed potato, coconut flour, gluten free flour, sugar and dried yeast into a medium-sized bowl. Stir well to combine ingredients.
- 7. Add liquid to dry ingredients and stir well to combine ingredients. The mixture should be a soft workable dough.
- 8. Take small portions of dough and shape into a flat circle approx. 5cm (2") in diameter. Place onto a flat tray lined with baking paper. Using an apple corer or very small biscuit butter, cut a portion of dough out of the centre of each doughnut. These portions can be re-rolled and used to make more doughnuts. Place doughnuts about 2cm apart on tray. Place a sheet of baking paper over doughnuts.
- 9. Place tray in a warm place and allow to prove for approx. 30 minutes or until doughnuts are risen and soft to touch.
- 10. Place oil into a deep saucepan. Oil will need to be approx. 2.5cm (¾") in depth. Heat until oil is hot, but don’t overheat or doughnuts will burn.
- 11. Place approx. 4 doughnuts into oil at one time. Cook for approx. 1 minute or until doughnuts are light golden brown.
- 12. Place the extra caster sugar and the ground cinnamon into a small bowl. Stir well to combine. Toss freshly cooked doughnuts in sugar and cinnamon.