Skip to content
Orange & Almond Cake
Recipes - Baking
Orange & Almond Cake - Orgran
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- 2 cooked oranges
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- a few drops of orange or almond essence
- caster sugar
- almond meal
- 1/2 cup ORGRAN Self Raising Flour
- blanched almonds, approx. 8 to 10 to put on top of each cake
Orange Peel Ingredients:
- 1 large orange
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup sugar
Orange Syrup Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- finely grated zest and juice of one orange
- The oranges for these cakes are cooked ahead of time. Use oranges without seeds.
Prepare Ahead Of Time:
- Place 2 large oranges in a saucepan of cold water. Bring slowly to the boil. Boil gently for 1 - 1½ hours until oranges are soft. Drain oranges and discard liquid. Allow oranges to cool before using to make cakes.
- 1. Preheat oven to 170°C (350°F).
- 2. Prepare a flat baking tray by spraying with cooking spray. Line tray with baking paper. Spray baking paper with cooking spray. Prepare eight (8) 10cm (3") cake baking tubes. Spray inside of tubes. Place tubes onto prepared tray. If you don’t have baking tubes, use a muffin tray.
- 3. Cut oranges into quarters and put the bowl of a blender. Break eggs and add to blender. Add vanilla and essence. Blend until oranges are very well blended. Add sugar, almond meal and flour. Blend until smooth.
- 4. About half to three quarters fill each baking tube. Top with a few (8 or 9) blanched almonds on each cake.
- 5. Place into a moderately-hot oven and bake for approx. 30 minutes or until cooked in the centre when tested.
- 6. When cooked, remove from oven and leave in tubes for 10 minutes before carefully turning out onto a fine wire rack to cool.
- 7. When cold, decorate with strips of orange peel and orange syrup.
Orange Peel Method:
- 1. Prepare a flat oven tray by lining with baking paper.
- 2. Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F).
- 3. Thinly peel orange. After removing peel, cut peel into very thin strips.
- 4. Pour hot water into a small microwave-safe bowl. Stir in sugar. Microwave on medium-high for 30 seconds and stir. Add strips of peel.
- 5. Microwave on medium-high for 30 seconds and stir.
- 6. Continue to microwave on medium for 30-second intervals and stir until orange peel is glossy.
- 7. Drain peel and place peel onto prepared tray. Take care not to overlap small pieces of peel.
- 8. Place tray into a moderately-slow oven for approx. 10 minutes. Take care not to overcook or peel will be too hard.
Orange Syrup Method:
- 1. Combine the honey, sugar, water, orange rind and orange juice in a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves.
- 2. Bring syrup to the boil over a gentle heat. Gently boil until syrup is slightly thickened. Allow syrup to cool a little.
- 3. While syrup is still warm, strain and trickle over cakes.