Skip to content
Lemon Syrup Cupcakes
Recipes - Baking
Lemon Syrup Cupcakes - Orgran
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- salt reduced dairy margarine
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 ORGRAN No Egg™ Egg Replacer, prepared as per packet instructions
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 300 millilitres lite sour cream (or vegan substitute)
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup ORGRAN Self Raising Flour
- 1 cup ORGRAN All Purpose Plain Flour
- crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
Lemon Syrup Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 lemons, very finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, strained
- Cupcake Method
- 1. Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).
- 2. Prepare 2 x 12 cup muffin trays. Line base of cups with circles of baking paper.
- 3. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla.
- 4. Crack eggs into a small bowl. Lightly beat eggs.
- 5. Gradually add egg to creamed mixture, beating well.
- 6. Stir in lemon rind.
- 7. Place sour cream into a small bowl. Stir in bicarbonate of soda. Stir into creamed mixture.
- 8. Sift flour into a small bowl.
- 9. Place 1 cup flour and crystallized ginger into blender and blend. Stir into remaining flour and mix well.
- 10. Gradually stir flour into creamed mixture.
- 11. Stir in lemon juice.
- 12. Place approx. 2 tablespoons of mixture into each muffin cup.
- 13. Place in oven and cook for approx. 18 minutes or until cupcakes are cooked when tested.
- 14. While cupcakes are cooking, prepare Lemon Syrup.
- 15. When cooked remove from oven.
- 16. Using a skewer, prick holes into the top of the cupcakes.
- Lemon Syrup Method
- 1. Place sugar into a medium-sized saucepan.
- 2. Stir in water.
- 3. Stir over a gentle heat until sugar dissolves.
- 4. Bring syrup to the boil, then reduce heat and boil for approx. 8 minutes, or until syrup slightly thickens.
- 5. While syrup is boiling, prepare lemon slices, flat on a microwave-safe plate.
- 6. Cover with vented plastic wrap and microwave on medium-high for 3 minutes.
- 7. When syrup has boiled, place lemon slices into syrup. Stir in strained lemon juice.
- 8. Boil for 5 minutes or until syrup is slightly thickened.
- 9. Carefully lift lemon slices and place one on the top of each cupcake.
- 10. Liberally pour lemon syrup over cupcakes.
- 11. Allow cupcakes to absorb lemon syrup and cool for approx. 15 minutes
- Serve with Orgran custard, plain or vanilla yoghurt, whipped cream or ice-cream as desired.