Gluten Free Chicken Tonkatsu
Recipes - Cooking
Gluten Free Chicken Tonkatsu - Orgran
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- 1 1/2 cups ORGRAN Premium Breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp gluten-free ketchup
- 4 teaspoons gluten-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- Pinch of ground pepper
- 1/2 cup ORGRAN All Purpose Plain Flour
- 2 tablespoons ORGRAN No Egg™ Egg Replacer, prepared as per packet instructions or 2 whole eggs
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, each cut in half and pounded to a 1/2-inch thickness
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup of Rice, for serving
- Shredded cabbage, for serving (optional)
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- 1. To make the dipping sauce, combine the ketchup, tamari, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, ginger, and pepper in a small bowl. Stir to combine. The sauce can be made up to 1 week ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.
- 2. Set three wide bowls or rimmed plates on the counter. (They should be wide enough to hold the chicken.)
- 3. Pour the ORGRAN All Purpose Plain Flour into one bowl. The ORGRAN No Egg or beaten eggs in another, and pour the ORGRAN Premium Breadcrumbs into the last bowl.
- 4. Sprinkle the chicken with the salt and pepper. One at a time, coat the chicken pieces with the ORGRAN All Purpose Plain Flour, shaking any excess back into the bowl. Dip the chicken into the egg and then coat it with cereal crumbs. As you finish, transfer the chicken to a wire rack. Repeat with the remaining chicken. The chicken can be coated a few hours ahead of time. Keep it on the wire rack set over a baking sheet, refrigerated, until ready to cook.
- 5. In a large nonstick frying pan, heat the oil for deep fry over medium heat. Add as many pieces of chicken as will fit in the pan and cook, turning once, until the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side for 1/2-inch thick pieces. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- 6. Serve with the dipping sauce, cabbage, rice and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Follow us on social media