Skip to content
Recipes - Baking
Fruit Bun - Orgran
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Fruit Bun Ingredients:
- 1 package ORGRAN Premium Bread Mix
- 1/4 cup mixed peel
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup raisins, chopped
- 1/2 cup currants
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- a couple of drops of almond essence
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1/2 cup water
- soft butter or monounsaturated margarine
Lemon Icing Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon butter or monounsaturated margarine
- 1 teaspoon boiling water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- couple of drops of lemon essence
- 1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
Fruit Bun Method:
- 1. Preheat oven to 170°C (350°F).
- 2. Prepare a large flat oven tray by spraying with cooking spray. Line base of tray with baking paper.
- 3. Place a little of the bread mix into the bowl of an electric food blender or food processor. Add peel. Process until peel is very fine.
- 4. Put the blended peel and bread mix into the large bowl of an electric food mixer. Add remaining bread mix. Add nutmeg and icing sugar and mix to combine ingredients.
- 5. Add almond meal, almond slivers, raisins, currants and lemon rind to bread mix. Mix well to combine ingredients.
- 6. Break eggs into a small bowl. Add vanilla, almond essence, rum and water. Whisk well.
- 7. Pour liquid into dry ingredients.
- 8. Add butter. Mix well to combine ingredients.
- 9. Spread dough onto prepared tray. Lightly dust hands with gluten free flour and shape dough to a long flat bun.
- 10. Allow to rise until soft and spongy. Do not prove for too long or cooked loaf will be too open in texture.
- 11. Place into a moderately-hot oven and cook for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 160°C (325°F) and cook for a further 20 minutes or until cooked in the centre when tested.
- 12. When cooked, leave on tray for 10 minutes before placing onto a fine wire rack to cool.
- 13. When cool, ice with lemon icing.
Lemon Icing Method:
- 1. Place butter into a small saucepan. Melt over a gentle heat. Stir in boiling water, lemon juice and lemon essence.
- 2. Place butter into a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir in boiling water, lemon juice and lemon essence.
- 3. Stir in icing sugar and mix to a smooth paste.
- 4. Spread icing over bun.
- 5. Decorate with a little dried fruit.