Skip to content
Corned Beef with Onion Sauce
Recipes - Cooking
Corned Beef with Onion Sauce - Orgran
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- Corned Beef Ingredients -
- 1 1/2 kilograms piece corned silverside
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 peppercorns
- 6 whole cloves
- vegetables for 6 people, as desired (12 pieces pumpkin, 12 potatoes, 12 pieces carrot, 6 onions. If all the vegetables won’t fit into your slow cooker, some will have to be cooked in an alternative way
- Beans in Tomato Sauce Ingredients -
- can Tomato Soup
- dried mushrooms
- 2 cups diced garden beans
- Onion Sauce Ingredients -
- 1 large red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter or monounsaturated margarine
- 3 tablespoons ORGRAN All Purpose Plain Flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Corned Beef Method -
- 1. Place the meat into a slow cooker. Cover with cold water. Pour vinegar into a measuring jug. Stir in brown sugar. Pour into slow cooker. Add bay leaves, peppercorns and cloves.
- 2. Turn slow cooker onto low for 1 hour. After 1 hour, prepare vegetables and add to slow cooker. Turn slow cooker onto high for 3 hours. Turn back to low and cook until meat and vegetables are cooked. Cooking time will vary according to the individual slow cooker, the size of the meat and the size and quantity of vegetables.
- 3. When meat is nearly cooked, prepare Beans in Tomato Sauce and make Onion Sauce
- Beans in Tomato Sauce Method –
- Preparation time 5 minutes
- Cooking time 20 minutes
- 1. Put soup and water into a small saucepan. Slowly stir in boiling water. Add mushrooms and beans.
- 2. Place onto cook over a gently heat. Cook until mushrooms are soft and beans are tender.
- Onion Sauce Method -
- Preparation time 15 minutes
- Cooking time 15 minutes
- 1. Peel and finely dice onion.
- 2. Pour oil into a small frying pan. Add onion and sauté (lightly fry).
- 3. Remove onion from pan and place into an electric food blender with a little of the milk. Blend until smooth.
- 4. Put butter (or monounsaturated margarine) into a medium-sized saucepan. Melt over a gentle heat. Remove from heat. Stir in ORGRAN flour. Return to heat and cook, stirring continuously for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in remainder of the milk. Return to heat. Pour in blended onion. Cook over a gentle heat, stirring continuously until sauce boils and thickens.
- Put butter into a medium-sized microwave –safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds or until butter is melted. Stir in flour. Microwave on high for 30 seconds and stir. Gradually stir in remainder of the milk. Microwave on medium-high for 30 seconds and stir. Continue to microwave on medium-high for 30-second intervals and stir until sauce boils and thickens.
- To serve
- Serve slices of corned beef with vegetables, Beans in Tomato Sauce and Onion Sauce.