Skip to content
Chocolate Macadamia Friands
Recipes - Baking
Chocolate Macadamia Friands - Orgran
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- 1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup ORGRAN All Purpose Plain Flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 2 cups almond meal
- 6 egg whites
- unsalted butter
- finely chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- extra pure icing sugar for dusting
- 1. Preheat oven to 170°C (350°F).
- 2. Prepare a 12-cup friand tray by spraying cups with cooking spray.
- 3. Sift icing sugar, flour and cocoa into a large mixing bowl. Stir in almond meal. Mix well to combine ingredients.
- 4. Place egg whites into a separate, clean, dry bowl. Whip until stiff. Whites need to be stiff as the only raising agent in friands is the air beaten into the egg whites.
- 5. Fold egg whites into dry ingredients.
- 6. Place butter into a small saucepan. Melt over a gentle heat.
- 7. Place chopped macadamias onto a flat oven tray. Place into a moderately-hot oven. Bake for approx. 10 minutes or until just lightly toasted. Stir into mixture in bowl. Stir in melted butter and vanilla essence.
- 8. About 3/4 fill each friand cup with mixture. Smooth surface of each with the back of a metal spoon dipped in boiling water.
- 9. Place into a moderately-hot oven and bake for approx. 20 minutes or until cooked when tested.
- 10. When cooked, remove from oven. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before carefully removing friands onto a fine wire cake rack to cool.
- 11. Dust with pure icing sugar just before serving.