Skip to content
Chocolate Almond Mud Cake
Recipes - Baking
Chocolate Almond Mud Cake - Orgran
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- dairy-free margarine
- dairy-free dark cooking chocolate
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1/3 cup whisky
- 1 2/3 cups ORGRAN All Purpose Plain Flour
- 3 tablespoons ORGRAN Self Raising Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 3 eggs or equivalent ORGRAN No Egg™ Egg Replacer- prepared according to packet instructions
Chocolate Icing Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free margarine
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1. Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F).
- 2. Prepare a 30cm x 20cm (12” x 8”) slab tin by spraying with cooking spray. Line base of tin with baking paper.
- 3. Combine butter, chocolate, sugar, water, vanilla and coffee in a medium-sized saucepan. Stir over a gentle heat until chocolate is melted. Do not have the temperature too high or the chocolate will burn and be ruined. Stir well.
- Combine butter, chocolate, sugar, water, vanilla and coffee in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute and stir. Continue to microwave on high for 20-second intervals until chocolate is melted. Stir well.
- 4. Allow mixture to cool.
- 5. Sift plain four, self raising flour, baking powder and cocoa into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Stir in almond meal. Stir into cooled chocolate mixture.
- 6. Add lightly beaten egg and beat mixture well to combine ingredients, using an electric food mixer.
- 7. Pour into prepared tin.
- 8. Place into a moderately-slow oven and bake for approx. 60 minutes or until cake is cooked when tested.
- 9. Leave in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a fine wire rack to cool.
- 10. When cool, ice with chocolate icing.
Chocolate Icing Method:
- 1. Place butter into a small saucepan. Melt over a gentle heat.
- Place butter into a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- 2. Stir in boiling water and vanilla.
- 3. Sift icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl. Gradually add sifted icing sugar and cocoa to butter and water. Beat well to mix to a smooth paste.
- 4. Spread icing over cooled cake. Use a flat blade knife dipped in boiling water to smooth icing.
- Tips - Best stored in refrigerator. The flavour will be more developed the day after.