Skip to content
Boiled Fruit Cake
Recipes - Baking
Boiled Fruit Cake - Orgran
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- mixed dried fruit
- finely chopped dates
- 200 millilitres water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- dairy-free margarine
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons treacle
- 2 tablespoons parisian essence
- 3 teaspoons ORGRAN No Egg™ Egg Replacer, prepared as per packet instructions
- 1 cup ORGRAN Multigrain O’s with Quinoa
- 2 1/2 cups ORGRAN All Purpose Plain Flour
- 1/2 cup ORGRAN Self Raising Flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons whisky
- It is necessary to boil the fruit and allow the mixture to go completely cold before proceeding to make the cake mixture. The boiled fruit mixture can be left to stand overnight and the cake made up the next day. Cake is best stored in a covered container in the refrigerator. This fruitcake was cooked in a bench-top oven (an Easycook Health Oven).
- The cake can be cooked in a convection oven if desired. This recipe can be made dairy free by using milk free margarine.
- 1. Place dried fruit and dates into a large microwave-safe bowl. Pour water into a small jug. Stir in bicarbonate of soda and raspberry jam. Pour water into mixed fruit. Microwave on high for 1 minute and stir. Continue to microwave at 1-minute intervals until mixture boils and fruit softens (approx. 5 minutes). Stir in vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap and leave until completely cold.
- 2. Preheat Easycook Health Oven to 150°C (300°F).
- 3. Prepare a 23cm (9") fluted ring shaped tin by spraying with cooking spray.
- 4. Cream butter and sugar. Stir in treacle and Parisian essence.
- 5. Stir beaten egg into cooked fruit mixture.
- 6. Place the cereal into the bowl of an electric blender or food processor. Process until very fine crumbs.
- 7. Sift flours, cocoa, cinnamon, spice and nutmeg into a medium-sized bowl. Stir finely crushed cereal into flour. Stir into fruit mixture and mix well.
- 8. Spread cake mixture into prepared tin.
- 9. Place tin into a moderately-slow oven.
- 10. Cook for approx. 75 minutes or until cooked when tested.
- 11. When cake is cooked remove from oven. Pour 2 tablespoons whisky over cake. Wrap cake in brown paper and a soft towel. Allow to cool in tin.