Skip to content
Recipes - Baking
Blueberry Friands - Orgran
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- dairy-free margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- a couple of drops of almond essence
- 6 teaspoons ORGRAN No Egg™ Egg Replacer, prepared as per packet instructions
- ORGRAN All Purpose Plain Flour
- pure icing sugar, sifted
- ground almonds
- zest of 1 lemon
- frozen blueberries
- extra pure icing sugar for dusting
- It is important to keep the blueberries frozen to go into the mixture.
- 1. Preheat oven to 200ºC 400ºF.
- 2. Prepare a friand tray by spraying cups with cooking spray.
- 3. Place butter into a medium sized saucepan. Melt butter over a low heat. Slightly increase heat to allow butter to bubble gently. Be prepared that the butter will bubble and spit as moisture is evaporated during heating. Heat until a pale honey colour. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly in saucepan. Heat the butter until it is slightly brown as this improves the flavour of the friands. Stir in vanilla and almond essence.
- 4. Place No Egg™ egg whites into a clean, dry bowl. Whip until stiff. Whites need to be stiff as the only raising agent in friands is the air beaten into the egg whites.
- 5. Sift flour and pure icing sugar into a bowl and mix well. Stir in ground almonds and zest of lemon. Using a whisk, lightly mix into egg white.
- 6. Stir in melted butter
- 7. Lightly stir in blueberries.
- 8. About 3/4 fill each friand cup with mixture. Smooth surface of each with the back of a metal spoon dipped in boiling water.
- 9. Place into a moderately hot oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until cooked when tested.
- 10. When cooked, remove from oven. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before carefully removing friands onto a fine wire cake rack to cool.
- 11. Dust with pure icing sugar just before serving.