Gluten Free Recipes - Bread, Cakes, Cookies, Snacks, Meals & Desserts
½ cup &1 tbs. & 2 tsp.milk (150ml)
¾ cup maize corn flour (100g)
⅓ cup & 1 tbs. &3 tsp. cup rice flour (70g)
½ cup & ½ tbs. Orgran GfG Gluten Substitute (80g)
1 fresh egg
2 tsp. raw sugar (6g)
½ tsp. salt
1 tbs. vegetable or canola oil
1 tsp. gluten-free baking powder (4g)
2 tsp. dry yeast
1 tbs. raw sugar (12g)
Egg white from 1 egg
2 tsp. water (10ml)
50g sesame seeds, poppy seeds or coarse salt
- Combine all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl (except ingredients for sprinkle).
- Form a well in the middle, add milk slowly and mix until soft dough form.
- Knead the dough until smooth and any excess moisture has been absorbed.
Once dough is made, this is how you can turn them into bagels!
- Cut into 8-10 equal pieces. Roll each piece between your palms to form a thin rope, about 20cm / 8 inch long with tapered and overlapping ends. With moistened fingers, pinch or lightly knead the joined ends so the circle is securely fastened.
- Set the bagels in a warm place to rise and cover them loosely.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F).
- While they are proving, bring about 2.0L of water to boil in a deep saucepan and add 1 tbs. of sugar.
- When the bagels have risen, after 15 minutes or so, drop one or two bagels at a time into the boiling water. Handle them as gently as possible so they do not deflate. They will rise to the surface of the water and swell up.
- Cook for 1 minute, then turn them over and let them cook for 3 minutes longer.
- Remove the bagels and drain over the water.
- Then place the bagels on an un-greased baking sheet.
- Beat the egg white with water and brush over the bagels then sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds or coarse salt.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Gluten Free Bagels
Ingredient alternatives: Rice flour, Maize flour and Orgran GFG can be substituted with 250g of Orgran Self Raising Flour
Serving suggestions: Try your bagels with smoked salmon, cream cheese and dill OR serve with a vegetable antipasto of capsicum, zucchini, pesto and bocconcini.
- Meal type:
- Recipe type:
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time: