Orgran Rice & Corn Mini Lasagne Sheets (follow cooking instructions on the box)
650g eggplants (cut into 5 mm slices)
4 tbs. of finely shredded basil
Olive oil (for greasing)
30g grated Parmesan cheese
⅓ cup Orgran All Purpose Plain Flour
2 ½ cups skim milk
1 garlic clove
40 g sliced carrots
2 tbs. reduced fat spread
1 large fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 tsp. olive oil
1 crushed garlic clove
250g finely chopped onions
1 tsp. dried oregano
825g canned tomato pieces
Salt & black pepper (to taste)
Variation: To prepare the Lasagne in advance, assemble in the dish, then cover loosely with foil and refrigerate until ready to cook.
Note: Eggplant slices are the ideal filling for this superb vegetarian Lasagne, which can be made a day in advance.
Preheat oven 180°C (356°F)
Lightly grease a 325 x 225 x 50mm or 13” x 9” x 2” ovenproof dish with oil
Combine garlic, onion, oregano, salt and pepper into tomato pieces
1. Pour the milk into a saucepan; add the carrots, clove, parsley and peppercorns.
2. Bring to the boil.
3. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and leave the mixture to infuse for 30-40 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce.
5. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add the onions and fry for 6-8 minutes, until softened, but not browned.
6. Add garlic to the pan and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
7. Add tomatoes and oregano and bring to the boil then simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes,
stirring frequently, or until reduced by about one-third and then season to taste.
8. Meanwhile steam the eggplant single-layer batches for 4-5 minutes each batch, until softened. Put aside.
9. To complete the bechamel sauce, strain the infused milk and discard the flavourings.
10. Melt the spread in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
11. Slowly whisk in the milk and bring to boil, whisking continuously until the sauce is thick enough to thinly coat the back of a spoon.
Simmer for 3 minutes then add salt, pepper and freshly grated nutmeg to taste
Lasagne sheets preparation and Assembly
1. Prepare Lasagne sheets as per instructions on the box
2. Place 2 sheets of pasta in the bottom of the dish and pour over a third of the tomato sauce. Sprinkle with basil.
3. Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on top and spoon over the bechamel sauce.
4. Repeat the layers and top with a layer of Lasagne.
5. Pour the remaining bechamel over the top and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake the Lasagne for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and bubbling hot. Serve straight from the dish.