Gluten Free Recipes - Bread, Cakes, Cookies, Snacks, Meals & Desserts
Hot cross buns
750g Orgran All Purpose Flour
2 sachets of dried gluten free yeast (double the quantity for fresh)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs mixed spices
250g (1 cup) currants
100g brown sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 egg, beaten, for glazing
- Put the flour, yeast, salt, mixed spice and currants into a bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Melt the butter and add the milk together with the sugar. Warm mixture to about 40ºC or warm enough to make the yeast rise.
- Pour the milk and butter mixture into the well and add the beaten eggs. Mix until a soft dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured board or bench and knead until the dough is very elastic (about 15 minutes).
- Place the dough into a lightly greased bowl. Cover with cling film or a tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for about 90 minutes or until the dough has doubled in volume. While the dough is rising, roll and form the marzipan into strips for the crosses and beat an egg with a little milk for the glaze. Use a little icing sugar to stop the marzipan from sticking whilst rolling. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375 F).
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured board and knock down. Knead again for a few minutes. Divide the mixture into 12 pieces and form each one into a bun shape. Place onto a greased tray and leave for approximately 15 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Brush with egg glaze and place a cross on top of each one. Bake for approximately 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Gluten free Hot Cross Buns recipe
Tip: Serve buns warm
Alternative option for icing: 2 tablespoons of Orgran "No Egg" Natural Egg replacer mixed with 4 Tablespoons of water and then piped onto each bun.
- Meal type:
- Recipe type:
- Breads,Buns & Loaves
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time: