Food Allergy Tips
1. Be sure to check all ingredients in your spices, oils, sauces, dressings and garnishes.
2. When travelling overseas, learn how to say or explain your food allergy in different languages.
3. Thoroughly wash all dishes, cooking utensils, surfaces and cutlery before and after use.
4. Be aware of any cosmetics that may contain allergens like gluten.
5. Teach your children why it’s important not to swap lunches at school.
6. Develop an allergy action plan in case of accidental exposure and make sure relevant people know about it (eg: close family members, teachers, friends…).
7. Always read labels, your allergens could be hidden in foods or drinks that you least expect.
8. Plan in advance before heading out to eat, check menus online or call restaurants to see if they can safely accommodate for your allergy.
9. Antibacterial hand gels may not remove all allergy triggers, so wash hands with warm water and soap frequently or keep hand-wipes in your bag or your child’s school bag to ensure hands are clean before eating.
10. Know your allergy and get a reliable diagnosis.
11. Always ask, don’t be afraid to speak up if you are not sure or confident whether your meal is allergen free.
12. If you choose to keep allergen foods in your home then label foods as ‘Safe’ or ‘Not Safe’ or try using colour-coded stickers.
13. Avoid cross contamination by preparing allergen free foods first.
14. Sponges and towels can be a source of allergens, try using disposable paper towels or wipes.
15. Designate one area in the home to be an ‘eating area’ to avoid any spreading of allergens throughout the house.
16. Use separate serving utensils to avoid cross contamination.
17. Encourage children to say “no, thank you” and teach them to only accept foods from a trusted guardian that is aware and proactive about their allergies.
18. Meal planning can help make your week a lot easier when you can prepare in advance.
19. Simple meals can help you adapt to a new diet, stick to a portion of protein, a portion of carbohydrates and some vegetables to keep your body nourished. ORGRAN’s Trusted and Total Solution products are safe to incorporate into your diet and allow you to continue enjoying the foods you love.
20. Talk about your allergies with friends and family, sharing your knowledge and tips can help them to help you!