Do you watch the clock waiting for the minutes to tick away, only to find that time seems to stand still? Your eyes are heavy, all of your work seems to take longer to complete and you begin to day dream about your couch and being curled up in your trackies watching TV.
We get it, but you don’t need to suffer. Through trial and error we’ve come up with a list of tips and tricks to help you get through those final few hours on the job.
- Don’t push your lunch time back too far in the day. Yes, there will be fewer hours left until you get to clock off and go home, however the ravenous hunger and mind fog it causes isn’t worth it, plus you’ll be more susceptible to eating foods that will cause you to crash later on.
- Stay hydrated. It’s suggested that most of us are chronically dehydrated, causing extreme sleepiness as well as a bunch of other not-so great symptoms. If you keep a water bottle at your desk and set a hydration goal, you can ensure that you don’t fall victim to this common mistake. Plus if you are worried about having to go to the bathroom constantly, use it as a chance to stretch your legs and get away from the desk for a few moments.
- Get some sun. Have lunch outside or open up a window to get some fresh air. Otherwise you might be at risk of becoming a vampire, especially in the winter months when you get to work before the sun comes up and leave after it sets. Not only does the sun reset your body clock and helps fight off melanin levels, you’ll be in a much better mood. Good day sunshine!
- Have a cup of tea. With a little burst of caffeine and a couple of minutes to breathe, having a hot cup will also help with your hydration levels, as mentioned above. We suggest a peppermint tea, as it’s known to be an energy enhancer.
- Have an orange. Vitamin C decreases fatigue just two hours after consumption. Alternatively, you could take a vitamin C tablet, however the natural sugar in the orange will also help wake up your senses.
- Eat some chocolate. Probably our favorite tip. Dark chocolate has caffeine and theo bromine which helps raise focus, plus the boost of happiness will brighten your afternoon.
Although these tips might seem small, often its the little things we do throughout the day that make our lives that little bit easier, and when you get home and slip on some comfy socks you’ll be all the more grateful you took care of yourself at work.