Celebrate Healthy Weight Week with these Handy Hints!
Healthy Weight Week is upon us once more and from February 13 – February 19, like-minded Australians will join together to educate and collaborate resources and ideas to promote and maintain a healthier nation.
The Healthy Weight Week campaign is an initiative created by the Dietitians Association of Australia (DAA) with a very achievable goal; to encourage more Australians to cook at home as a way to reach and sustain a healthy weight.
According to the DAA, research shows that people who prepare food at home are more likely to eat smaller portions, thereby consuming fewer kilojoules and less fat, salt and sugar.
We’ve gathered the most useful and handy tips to assist you in maintaining a healthy weight for 2017 and the coming years.
- Choose Healthy Fats – be sure to have plenty of healthy fats in the cupboard for cooking with such as olive oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, avocado, nuts and seeds.
- Remove The Skin and Fat from Meat and Poultry – the visible white far on the meat and outer skin on chicken contains saturated (bad) fat. Always be sure to this part off to assist in the reduction of risk of heart disease.
- Choose a Healthy Cooking Method – choose cooking methods that don’t need lots of fats and oils such as microwaving vegetables or grilling, stir-frying or baking meats and poultry.
- Bulk Up Your Meals With Legumes – bulk up your bolognaise or salads by throwing in a tin of chickpeas or kidney beans. They are high in fiber, relatively cheap and will keep you fuller for longer.
- Balance Your Plate – a healthy meal means one quarter of your plate is lean meat (or legumes), another quarter is carbohydrates and the rest is filled with colourful vegetables. Remember, the more colours the better!
You can also find out more about Healthy Weight Week here. Do you have any handy hits to maintain a healthy weight? We’d love to hear!